(Disclaimer: Interviewee switches to Sheng’ in some parts of the interview)
- You are a jack of all trades, tell us about all these amazing things you are doing
I am a journalist by profession, also a producer, director and presenter for TV and radio, screenwriter, actor, online content producer (because the future is online), video editor, event emcee and a Manchester United fan.
- You are quite an original, having conceptualized a number of ideas and brought them to life. One of them is Warren TV. Tell us about it.
Warren TV ni space yangu ya kujiexpress. Niliianza coz for now content yangu maybe haitaget airplay kwa mainstream TV na I want to get my ideas out there. So I created the channel on YouTube then nikaanza kuproduce content. So far we have three programs up and running; TALENTED, YUT ZONE and THE 254 SHOW. More content coming up.
“content yangu maybe haitaget airplay kwa mainstream TV na I want to get my ideas out there. So I created the channel on YouTube”
- You had a not-so-short stint at MMUST FM as a radio presenter, where again, you conceptualized an amazing radio show, The Hangout. How did this new venture come to you?
I joined MMUST FM in 2013, in my first year of college. I started off by hosting a reggae show with K-Wan, then over time I wanted to focus on more Kenyan music. I talked to my bosses at the studio over a possibility of switching to a more Kenyan show, and The Hangout was born.
- Na sasa uko KTN, opportunities just seem to follow you!🙂 What is the secret?
Acha niseme Grace ya God ni sufficient sana. God ndio secret ya success. Hapo KTN niko show fulani ya investigative journalism inaitwa Top Story sn2, as a contestant representing Masinde Muliro University. Top Story ni program ya Africa On Air na ni competition amongst 20 public universities from across Kenya. Check it out every Thursday at 7:30pm on KTN Home.
- Do you think youths in 2017 are now better placed to pursue and achieve their dreams?
I think we are better placed coz we have the freedom to experiment with anything. Bora tu you believe in your craft.
- What are some of the struggles you’ve had to deal with in your journey?
The struggle has been real I must confess, kwanza kuna challenge ya kuget wasee kubelieve kwa kitu unadu juu wasee wanadai sana story za majina biggy biggy kwa industry. Alafu pia kuna struggle ya finance, unaneed cheda wewe kama creative, like when am shooting episodes for Warren TV nahitaji cash to hire a quality camera to get the work done. Ni challenge kiasi keeping in mind am still unemployed.
“challenge ya kuget wasee kubelieve kwa kitu unadu juu wasee wanadai sana story za majina biggy biggy kwa industry”
- You were nominated for the KTCA Best Radio/TV Host 2017, how did you receive this news?
To be honest I never expected to be nominated juu in my mind I thought iyo award ni vako ya jeshi ya kisumu tu, so getting nominated I was excited coz it means somebody has recognized the hustle.
- How can we vote for you?
You log onto www.vipajikenya.com them you scroll down hadi category ya KTCA Best Radio/Tv host where you will get my name WARREN LIGARE. Vote and don’t forget to share.
- Who do you look up to in the industry?
I used to look upto Mzazi Willy M. Tuva coz manze this ninja managed to connect East Africa through radio and music. He is a true manifestation of how powerful the entertainment industry is. Currently, I look up to myself coz I can only become a better version of myself.
- Parting shot?
To my beautiful country Kenya, ‘tibim’, ‘tialala’ na ‘wembe ni ule ule’ ni slogans tu but Peace ni fom fiti kuruka.